1098-T Questions and Answers

Questions and Answers

What are qualified education expenses?

  • Registration and tuition fees that are required to enroll at UCSC
  • UCSC Student Services Fees
  • UCSC Campus Fees
  • Non-Resident Supplemental Tuition
  • Course specific fees
  • Books and supplies that are required for course instruction. Books that are purchased digitally through the Inclusive Access Program and show on your account as ‘Inclusive Access Digital‘ will be reported on the 1098T form produced by UCSC. UCSC cannot track any other book/supply purchases and will not report anything besides IA materials charged to your student account.  Keep your receipts for any other books/supplies purchased.

Expenses that are not reported on the 1098-T Form

  • Room and Board
  • Insurance
  • Health Center Charges
  • Travel
  • Research

Do I need to complete a 1098-T form?

No, the 1098-T form is completed by UCSC.

What is the Federal Tax ID Number for UCSC?

UCSC's Federal Tax ID Number is: 94-1539563

Why did I not receive a 1098-T form?

Some of the most common reasons for not receiving a 1098-T are:

You had no qualified tuition and related expenses/scholarships or grants for the calendar year.

UCSC does not have your social security number. This information is required for 1098-T reporting.

UCSC may not furnish a 1098-T for the following students:

Students who take classes where no academic credit is offered even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program.

Students who are nonresident aliens for income tax purposes (unless requested by the student).

UC Extension students:

UCEAP uses Tab Services Corporation (TSC) to issue 1098-Ts, so you may look
for your 1098-T online at the TSC website: http://www.tsc1098t.com/ 

UCSC Extension students with questions may contact us at:

Address: UCSC Extension, 3175 Bowers Avenue, Santa Clara, CA 95054

Website: https://www.ucsc-extension.edu/tax 


What are the educational tax benefits that the IRS offers?

Only you and your tax consultant can determine if you are eligible for any educational tax benefits. UCSC cannot advise you on your tax situation. For details, check out IRS publication 970. You can also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040, Monday-Friday, 7:00 AM - 10:00 PM. Or visit their website Internal Revenue Service.

I am an international student, do I need a 1098-T form?

It depends on whether you are a non-resident alien for federal income tax purposes. Non-resident aliens are generally not eligible for educational tax benefits.

Will my 1098-T form show my entire Social Security number?

The Social Security number will be truncated to show only the last four digits.

Other questions?

Please e-mail sbs@ucsc.edu.